End of the range drama

In March , I blogged about a new range.  For three months I cooked with a range that didn’t have a temperature knob for the oven.  I used an oven thermometer, however, the biggest problem was that the oven cycles throughout cooking.  It would cycle from 350 F to 450 F during any cooking process.  It didn’t matter where I placed the knob with the two pictures, it cycled and I burnt the majority of things I cooked.

For those of you who know me, cooking is a big deal to me, plus I must cook much more here than in the States.  Needless to say, I was very frustrated!

There is a family who’ve served in Yaoundé for several years and they are leaving for a Stateside assignment.  They were selling all their belongings, including a range.  I really wanted their range, but how could we spend more money on another range?  I felt so guilty and like a spoiled child even thinking about it, but I couldn’t stop thinking about it.  After much discussion and finding a buyer for our range, we purchased the range from the family.

I’m happy, happy, happy with the new range.  It’s BIG.  The oven’s here are European models that only have one oven rack and are normally quite small.  The European makers, make ovens wider rather than two oven racks for cooks who want more oven space.  So this oven is a full 36″ wide.  For the first time in four years, I can now cook two homemade pizzas at the same time or two sheets of cookies at the same time or two of whatever at the same time.  Plus, it has an accurate temperature knob.  For the first time in several months, I didn’t burn my granola and have been enjoying eating toasted granola in the morning, rather than, burnt granola.

IMG_1720

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Cameroon, home and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to End of the range drama

1. Pop pop says:

You are not being spoiled. You are being blessed. So glad you are enjoying the new range. I’m sure the boys are too.

2. Stephanie says:

Awesome! That oven is huge! So happy for you!

3. Denise says:

Yay! That is so nice! You so deserve that!

4. Carolyn says:

What a relief from the stress of having had to tend to alternating cooking temperatures and from the expense and loss of food due to burning, not to mention safety issues presented by the previous ovens you’ve tried. Now finally, no more burned arms, right? The range top looks to have a generous number of burners, as well, and it’s an attractive appliance. Win-win. I’m glad for you! Cook/bake on DeAnna-Martha Anderson-Stewart!!!

5. Lori L. Dugan, Tan & Garcia Pediatrics says:

DeAnna, great news!!! We will be over for dinner…

6. barbara r says:

i will not covet. i will not covet. i will not covet.

😉 truly, i’m THRILLED for you, having an inkling of what that means…

7. Pingback: The Years | D squared + J squared = Anderson