Since I have another crop of dandelions that are almost ready to be harvested I thought I would see if there are any practical uses for them besides bird food and entertainment for the kids. If anyone tries any of these please send me the photos so I can add them to this post.
- When the roots are processed correctly make the best laxative ever. You can never have too many of these lying around the house
- Coffee or tea, I’m trying to find this recipe so I can have the kids sell this on the street instead of lemonade when school is out
- Yellow crayons
- Nectar for bees to make more dandelions and honey
- Dandelion salad (make and eat at your own risk – but if you need some dandelion greens give me a call)
- Clean, dried dandelion greens, approx. two handfuls
- Five strips of bacon, fried crisp, let cool and break apart
- ½ cup vinegar
- Small red onion diced
- ¾ tsp. Sugar
- In a shallow pan of boiling water, add dandelion leaves for just long enough to heat, drain off water and add remaining ingredients, only adding enough sugar to cut any remaining bitterness. It is best to experiment with the sugar. Salt and pepper may also be added to taste. Serve while still warm.
David you will NOT be cooking when you come to PA. I am not sure I like your recipes.
I’ll take regular coffee, thank you. We’ll just watch the dandelions grow.
Don’t forget that you can put them under your chin and if you see yellow, it means that you are “boy or girl crazy”! If this makes no sense, ask Deanna, as this is what third grade girls do on summer break….oh, and you can make necklaces our of them as well. Dandelion fun!